Before going any further into my goals for 2011, let's see how I did on last year's goals. Here are the goals I wrote out last Dec.31st. (and how I did on each goal in parentheses).
- Running goals: first marathon (1/9/10!), 5k in less than 24 min, 10k in less than 50 min, and a half-marathon in less than 1hr55min. All will require some work but all are totally attainable. (I'm really proud of how I did on this one. I finished my first marathon on Jan. 9th of this year. Check! I PRed at the Pony Express 5k in June with a time of 23:23! Check! And also PRed at the Halloween Half with a time of 1:50:46! Check! The only 10k I ran was an obstacle course in the mud so no PRs there but I think under 50 is totally doable.)
- Be at church on time at least 90% of the time. This one will be difficult since church starts at 9:00am this year and I made it to church on time, oh, about 5% of the time when church started at 1:00pm. Now's a great time to figure out a new Sunday morning regimen that will help us to be more prompt. (I did really pitifully on this one and it really needs to change. We only made it to church on time about a handful of times in 2010. I just can't seem to get it together!)
- Read my scriptures everyday. My reading has been inconsistent and I need to make sure that I read, even if just a little, everyday. (I did pretty well on this one. Even when I didn't have time to read a chapter, I read a verse or two. I can definitely do better, though.)
- Do something nice for someone everyday. Make cookies, write a letter, pay a compliment- be creative and be personal. Surprise people with a nice gesture. Love this one and I'm thinking I'll get the whole family involved. (Check! Well, I didn't really keep track but it seems that there are always opportunities to do something nice for someone, especially at home. Always a great goal, though.)
- Play in a mixed doubles tennis tournament with hubster. This year, I'm not letting this one beat me. There is a local tournament every year in June and this year I'll be the first to sign up! (Oh!!! I let it beat me again! In fact, I think I only picked up a racquet maybe 3-4 times this year. Just been running so much and tennis has taken a back seat. I really miss it, though!)
- Lastly, I wasn't even sure that I'd add this one this year, but I do need to lose a few pounds. To be totally honest, marathon training has led me down a path of, well, over-carbing and I'd like to be back to feeling like myself by spring. So, my last goal is to lose, hmm, let's say 10 pounds and get back to weight-training and feeling light and spry again. (Ugh. I should have trusted my instincts on this one. I did not lose 10 pounds but I have lost and gained and all-in-all pretty much stayed the same. Not such a bad thing. My health goals will be different this year.)
My 2011 Goals
- Running goals: 5k in less than 23 minutes, half-marathon in less than 1:50 and two more full marathons. Also, at least 1000 miles for the year. Hmm, yep, that'll do.
- Volunteer goals: Work on getting the Utah County Chapter of Train4Autism up and running. Get at least a team of 20 together for the Utah Valley Marathon (full, half, or 5k.) Excited to see where this goal takes me this year. I should get lots of opportunities to have booths at different venues. Will be fun.
- Health goals: Focus on eating more "clean." Make meal plans every week focusing on healthy ingredients. I actually do pretty well at this most the time. Lately, we've been eating out a little more, though, and I want to make sure that doesn't become a habit, even when things get busy.
- Personal goals: Will and I are teaching in primary at church this year and the theme for the year is "I Know the Scriptures are True." My goal is to strengthen my own testimony of the scriptures by reading everyday, personally and with my family. I know that this goal will not only enrich my life but also my children and the kids in my class at church. Gotta love that!
- Blogging goals: It's obvious that I need to be better about documenting our family adventures. So, as I mentioned already, my goal is to update this blog at least 2-3 times a month.
- Parenting goals: Plan an activity with each boy once a week. I want more one-on-one time with the boys, especially Coleman, so I'm going to make it a priority to plan special activities so that they both get individual time with Mommy.