Thursday, September 25, 2008
Sunday, September 14, 2008
2. I only decorate with items that can't be broken.
3. I have a new appreciation for abstract art and I display it all over my fridge.
4. Exercise and "me time" have to go hand in hand because I have no time for both.
5. I learned I can take a punch to the face. Who knew?
6. I had to buy a steam cleaner.
7. I will sometimes stay up way past my bedtime no matter how tired I am because it's quiet! Ahhh, I love those nights.
8. I went from thinking that I'm a kind, patient person to thinking, "I've really got work on being more kind and patient."
9. I can ignore crying, whining, etc. for hours on end. Doesn't phase me one bit.
10. I get it! I get why everyone says, "It's the toughest job you'll ever love." Wouldn't change a thing about my life or my boys. Just to hear those little voices call me Mommy. What a blessing!
Saturday, September 13, 2008
My freezer in the garage was filled to the brim with ice cream! Here I am waiting for the party to start. My neighbor Sandra was so sweet and brought brownies because she really loves warm brownies with ice cream. Apparently, she's not the only one because they were gone quick! The neighbors hanging out in the front yard.
Cooper, Joshua, Kyle, Madi, Coleman and Nathan. The nametags had a spot to write your favorite flavor of ice cream and Coleman's said "french fry." Better get a patent on that one, bud!
Will fixing an ice cream cone for Spencer. We were trying to keep the ice cream out of the sun but it kept creeping back on us.
Some neighbors found a shady spot under our tree out front.
The whole party was really laid back and easy. I'm so glad that so many neighbors came. We really do have a great neighborhood! Many of us have become great friends over the last 3 years!
What great fun! And all because of 2 simple paragraphs. This is what I wrote-
Sandra came over yesterday to borrow my oven cleaner. She's looking for something to clean her iron with. That pesky build-up doesn't have a chance against her! And Madi, the sweet little girl across the street, called to see if she could come over and play with the boys. She was just a toddler when they moved in 3 years ago and my oldest, Coleman, was only 3 so they've now known each other for the better part of their little lives. Having moved 10 times in 5 years before settling here, we had no idea what we were missing out on. Neighbors can be a fantastic blessing!
You see, my husband and I are both Eastern transplants that ended up in Utah thousands of miles from our families. We've always made do, relying on our "tag-team" parenting efforts and never needed anyone's help. But what does a young mother do when she is as sick as a dog in bed with the flu and her husband has one of those "can't miss" days at work with no family close by? In my case, I called a friendly neighbor who gladly took my kids to her house so I could rest. That day, to me, was the day I learned how important it is to nourish relationships with our neighbors. It's been 2 years since then and there have been meals made and shared, birthdays remembered, tools borrowed, driveways shoveled, and plenty of shoulders to cry on when needed. It's no coincidence that we've moved into such a caring and charitable neighborhood at this time in our lives. We needed a family and we found family right out our front door!
Thanks to Dreyer's and all my wonderful neighbors!
Thursday, September 04, 2008
- I am a bit particular (some might say obsessive-compulsive) when I do the dishes, which is probably why I hate to do them! I basically wash them and then use the dishwasher to "sterilize" them. I always separate all the spoons, forks, and knives in the cutlery basket. Weird, I know.
- I'm usually not a "gaming geek" but two nights ago I spent 2 hrs playing Disney's Toontown online. It was completely cathartic- earning jellybeans, fighting Cogs, completing Toon tasks- I loved it all! Ha!
- I sometimes sing with the songs on my MP3 player while running on the treadmill. Pretty breathy and really terrible. What can I say?! There are some songs that just beg you to sing along! Will finds it pretty hilarious.
- I check my weight every single morning and it can easily affect my mood, probably why I've been in such a bad mood lately...
- I really dislike "parties" that aren't really parties at all. Just once I'd like to be invited to a real party just because someone likes me and not because they want me to buy Tupperware! (Sorry to anyone that's invited me to a "party." It's not you, it's me. It's just one of those Utah things I've never been able to get used to.)
- I really, really love those cutesy style aprons like you find on Etsy. I wish I had a billion of them. They are so dang cute!
Ok. I tag Jenn, Jenny, and Jennifer!