Monday, August 21, 2006

The S. Carolina part of our trip.

Ok, so after we left WV we headed down to South Carolina. (This, by the way, turned out to be the most challenging part of the trip and the deciding factor for not driving all the way to Disney. A baby and a 4 yr old who has to pee every hour just do not travel well.) Anyway, once we got there it was a lot of fun! The day after we arrived, Will and I went golfing with his dad. I was thrilled because (even though I love it) I haven't golfed since Will and I were dating. It was really fun just to be outside and doing something sans the boys who were being watched by Grandma Verburg.

A couple days later we packed up and went to Savannah, GA for the day to go the Paula Deen's restaurant, The Lady and Sons. We ended up waiting a few hours to eat (this place was packed!) The food was great but there wasn't nearly enough to choose from. When you think buffet, you think there is going to be lots of food but really there was only about 15-20 items. However, what was there was simply delicious! I won't be going back to The Lady and Sons but it was a neat experience. And, because we had to wait to eat, we did get to see the famous River St. in Savannah. All in all, a fun day. That night we traveled north to Charleston, SC to settle in for a night of rest before a big day of crabbing the next day.

One of Will's fondest memories from childhood was going out crabbing with his Mom when he was a young boy. I think that he really wanted to re-create that experience for Coleman. So, we went to James Island State Park and let Coleman help pull up some traps and see all the crabs as they were caught. I think Diane (Will's mom) and Paul caught about 30 crabs that day. While Coleman did enjoy crabbing when he was pulling up traps, the waiting part of crabbing proved to need more patience then Coleman possesses. So, we skipped out early on Will's parents and went to Folly Beach for the rest of the afternoon. We met them back at home in Sumter that night just in time to eat all those crabs that Diane cooked up. It was really yummy!

Another couple days passed and we packed up again to stay in Diane's vacation property at Myrtle Beach. While there we went to the beach (of course!) and went to the new Ripley's Aquarium. It was really a great aquarium. Just big enough that you feel like you get your money's worth and just small enough that you don't have to spend the whole day there to see everything. Great fun!

We headed back to Sumter after two days in Myrtle beach. I should mention here that everytime we went back to Sumter Will would golf at least 9 holes (but usually 18 holes) a day. So, while in Sumter I spent a lot of time babysitting but I can't really complain because I did get to play with him twice. But it was much more fun getting out and doing things around South Carolina. In fact ,we like SC so much that we are planning on moving there someday soon. As soon as we can figure out a way.

Wrapping up our trip to SC, we headed back to Charlotte to stay the night in a hotel there and catch a plane home the next day. We went to the children's museum in Charlotte which proved to be really exciting for Coleman. It was too bad that they closed at 6 o'clock as we didn't get there until about 4 but we really had fun while we were there.

So, that's our trip. I think that I haven't blogged in such a while because I knew these vacation blogs would be long. Hopefully, I can get back to writing on here everyday or every other day now that these long posts are out of the way...

No comments:

Total Pageviews